Nissan is a brand on the move. And on a roll. The past two years have seen the back-to-back introductions of the segment-busting 2014 Rogue and 2015 Murano, which helped drive Nissan to record 2014 calendar year sales of 1,269,565 (+12.2%) in the United States.
Among the models setting all-time annual sales records were Altima, JUKE, LEAF, NV, Rogue and Versa. The Nissan LEAF sold more than 30,000 units in the U.S. – the first time any plug-in vehicle has reached that milestone in a single year.
Nissan also achieved the highest fuel economy rating of any full-line manufacturer in the United States, according to the 2014 Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) "Trends" Report. Nissan's fleet-wide fuel economy rating of 26.2 combined mpg was highest among all full-line automakers in the annual report, which is the authoritative reference on new light-duty vehicle carbon dioxide emissions, fuel economy and powertrain technology trends in the United States.
This year has also been a significant one for NISMO, Nissan's motorsports group, both on and off the track. The current portfolio of production NISMO vehicles includes two JUKE models, 370Z and the 600-horsepower GT-R NISMO. On the track, the revolutionary Nissan GT-R LM NISMO made its competition debut at the 2015 Le Mans 24 Hours, while NISMO-powered LM P2 race cars took the top six finishing positions in the class.
New for 2016
Leading the way for 2016 are two more all-new models – the eighth-generation Nissan Maxima "4-Door Sports Car" and the category redefining, Cummins diesel-powered Nissan TITAN XD pickup. The stunning new Maxima arrived at Nissan dealerships nationwide in June and will be followed by TITAN XD later in the year.
But that's not all. Two of the company's top-selling models, Altima and Sentra, also will see significant refreshing in the 2016 model year. Details on both vehicles will be announced shortly.
The new model year also sees the continued advancement of Nissan safety and connectivity system technology across the widest-ever application of vehicles and trim levels – including NissanConnect with Navigation and Mobile Apps, NissanConnect Services telematics, Predictive Forward Collision Warning (PFCW), Driver Attention Alert (DAA) and Around View® Monitor (AVM) with Moving Object Detection (MOD), just to name a few.
Nissan's Forward Emergency Braking (FEB), which uses radar technology to monitor speed and proximity to the vehicle ahead, is now available on the 2016 Rogue. It joins Murano and Maxima as vehicles offering this advanced technology usually found on more expensive luxury vehicles. Nissan will add the technology to more products before the year is finished.
The new year also sees the introduction of Siri™ Eyes Free to the Nissan lineup, beginning with the 2016 JUKE and Rogue. The system allows drivers to utilize the Siri™ function on equipped iPhones® through a voice command button on the steering wheel without having to take their eyes off the road.
Here is an overview of the major enhancements to Nissan cars, SUVs and trucks for the 2016 model year, followed by a top-line overview of the 2016 changes and more complete "Fast Facts" product information:
- Versa Note SV adds content of the previous SV Convenience Package as standard equipment, including: NissanConnect with Mobile Apps, 5.0-inch color display, Streaming audio via Bluetooth®, Hands-free Text Messaging Assistant and SiriusXM Satellite Radio (SiriusXM subscription required, sold separately), RearView Monitor and Divide-N-Hide® Adjustable Floor
- 370Z Coupe and 370Z NISMO add a new available Bose® audio system incorporating Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) and Active Sound Enhancement (ASE)
- JUKE adds two new Personal Package options, Black and Yellow Stinger Editions to SV grade, along with the addition of standard Siri™ Eyes Free
- Pathfinder features new high-contrast Almond interior, and a Cold Package is now available with the SV grade
- Rogue adds Forward Emergency Braking (FEB) to Rogue SL Premium Package; Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) added to Rogue SV and SL Premium Packages; NissanConnect Services telematics added to Rogue SL; Siri™ Eyes Free added to Rogue SV Premium Package and Rogue SL
- NV Cargo adds 1st row side- and roof-mounted curtain supplemental side-impact air bags with rollover sensor for front outboard occupant head protection as standard equipment
- And Xterra, one of the boldly designed vehicles that helped reinvigorate the Nissan brand at the beginning of the century, will go out of production after a highly successful 15-year run
As always, stay tuned to NissanNews.com for the latest updates on Nissan products, pricing and other activities in the United States and around the world.