We put together 7 tips to help your family road trip go smoothly with your kids.
- MAKE AN EMERGENCY KIT: Pack a first Aid kit but don’t forget to pack things you might need in case of emergency like jumper cables, tire-pressure gauge, etc. Also grab the sunscreen and bug spray for any unexpected side trips. Baby wipes are always nice too! for a great full list check out our friends at Simply Preparing: http://simplypreparing.com/emergency-road-trip-kit/.
- FIND GREAT APPS TO KEEP THEM BUSY: Have a tablet or a phone for the kids? Hook it up with some fun and educational apps that make the trip go by easier! Here’s a great list from our friends at Traveling MOM: http://www.travelingmom.com/road-trip-boredom-busters-best-apps-games-kids/
- PACK HEALTHY SNACKS: Kids get grumpy when they’re hungry! Make sure you have some of their favorite healthy snacks (and maybe a few sweet treats!) to keep the hunger at bay! Babble has a ton of roadside snack recipes: http://www.babble.com/travel/25-road-trip-snacks-for-kids-recipes/
- ROADSIDE OBSERVATION GAMES: Play WITH your kids! Here’s a fun scavenger hunt you can play along with your kids and any other travel partners! http://www.kristendukephotography.com/road-trip-scavenger-hunt-free-printable/
- MAP IT: Get a map of your road trip (either hard copy or on their tablet) and route out the trip for your kids. Highlight fun things along the way so your kids know where you are and can learn as they go! Maybe even take a fun little side trip!
- DON’T FORGET THE PILLOWS! This is a must to keep the whole family comfy and give children their own space so you don’t get “he’s touching me!”
- AUDIO BOOKS: This might save your road trip - especially if you have kids that might get carsick from reading in the car! A pair of headphones and you or your child can slip away into a good book!